Congratulations! Baby is on the way. You’ve got your photographer booked (hopefully me!). And now you’re trying to figure out what you need to do before baby’s first photo shoot. As your Marietta newborn photographer, I’ve compiled some of my top tips for making your newborn session a success!
1. Plan your outfits ahead of time. Well ahead of time, like around the 6th month of pregnancy! If baby comes early, and plenty of them do, you don’t want to be scrambling for something to wear. When you book a newborn session with me, I’m available for as much styling consulting as you need. You also receive a prep guide with more specific styling tips!
2. Have backup outfits ready. Let’s face it. Spit-up happens! Don’t take the chance of only having one outfit available, for everyone involved. Parents and siblings should also have backup outfits available too.
3. Clear the clutter (strategically). We almost always take pictures in the nursery so you want to be sure to clear that room of clutter. We’ll also likely be in one or two other areas of the house, possibly the main bedroom and a living area, so you’ll want to clear those areas of clutter as well. Please believe me when I say that there is zero judgment about where that clutter ends up. You can throw it all in the hallway/bathroom/kitchen if you need to. You’ve just had a baby which is pretty much the best excuse ever for a messy house!
4.Lights off and shades up. Window light is typically the most flattering. So we’re going to turn off all artificial lights and open the blinds to let in that pretty light.
5. Turn the heat up. Ok, I know this one can be rough, especially if you’re dealing with some postpartum hormones that are making you feel like a furnace. But if the house is just a little bit warmer than normal, it can help keep baby relaxed/sleepy.
6. Take care of yourself too! You’ll be very focused on making sure everyone else is fed and hydrated. Make sure you remember to do the same for yourself! It’s normal to have some nerves and excitement before your session so make sure you take time for a good breakfast and lots of water for yourself too.
I hope these tips helped you have an idea of what to expect before a session and what to do beforehand. I love helping my clients with styling and home prep! If you’d like to chat about booking me as your Marietta newborn photographer reach out here. I also serve Atlanta, Roswell, Smyrna, Sandy Springs, and the surrounding areas. If you need some TLC beforehand and need recommendations for prenatal massage, I’ve got a list here. And if you’re itching to do some shopping, I’ve got a list of local baby stores for you here.